Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Why Valentine's Day Rocks

Today, Valentine's Day, is a day I most dread. I really don't even like the days leading up to it, so much pinks and reds and hearts. *gag* And honestly I wouldn't mind this day of expression, if it weren't for the overkill of decor. I rather enjoy all the chocolates and candy that I can find at stores, though not the ridiculous prices for it.  But I mostly just hate the day because I'm single and as it's appropriately labeled 'Single Awareness Day'. And so I wallow around in self pity, hating me and life, trying to figure out why I have never been on a date, etc. It's a dark, dark time. And so today was no different. I woke up and went to work pretending it was just another day on the outside, but on the inside, it was a whole different story.

If you follow me on Twitter, then you will have noticed that I have been working my way through The Hunger Games series. In the third and final book of the series, Katniss has to mentally stop and think about who she is or else she gets confused by all of the commotion around her and forgets herself. If you've read the book, then you know what I'm talking about. So, as I was cleaning machines this morning, I just stopped everything going on in my brain, and started over. My name is Carisa Morgan. Today is Valentine's Day. I am single. I am not loved. Wrong. I am loved. I am loved by my parents, brothers, my roommates, really close girlfriends, and most importantly, I am loved by God. What more do I need? And so from there, all I could think was Jesus loves me. Jesus loves me. Jesus loves me! And with that came the realization of all that I was and all that I now am, because of God's love for me and Him sending Jesus down here to die a most gruesome death on a cross. All for me. And all for you.

Now, some of you may be thinking, well, that's all good for you and all, but I don't believe in God. And? God still loves you. He loves you whether you acknowledge His existence or not. So now you may be thinking, How can someone I don't believe in love me? Because if I don't believe in Him, He can't exist. And therefore have no love for me. Well that's what you may think, but let me bring things back down to a level where you can relate. Every single one of us has had a crush at some point in our life. Whether it was a school-yard crush in elementary school, or a crush on a celebrity, we've all been there. Don't deny it, you're human just as the rest of us. Now, this person you are crushing on may be someone you are close to, or someone who doesn't even know you are alive. Let's look at the first. So, you've got this crush on a friend, classmate, teammate, coworker, whatever. You know them and they know you. But they don't return your feelings. That doesn't make you any less existent does it? Or let's take the latter, a crush on someone who doesn't even know you are alive. You know all about them, but to them, you don't exist. Does that make you any less real? I think not. Just because you choose to ignore God by denying His existence, or you choose not to love Him in return, does not make Him any less real. Nor does it mean that His love is any less real:

                                                For God so loVed the world,
                                                        that He gAve
                                                            His onLy
                                                            begottEn
                                                                 SoN,
                                                                     That whosoever
                                                       believeth In Him,
                                                          should Not perish,
                                                       but have Everlasting life.
                                                                                - John 3:16




No comments:

Post a Comment